September 27: Linden Supports Global Climate Action
Linden families may have heard of the planned Global Climate Strike on September 27th, with a big rally at noon in Queen’s Park. The Linden School is planning a day of action to support the strike, including peer-led education sessions, poster-making, attending the rally, and enjoying a low-waste picnic lunch in Queen’s Park.
What you need to know:
- Friday September 27th will be a modified school day, with no traditional classes. Instead, students will be learning about climate justice and participating to the extent they choose in climate-related activities. School start- and end-times will not change.
- Students always have the right to dissent, so any students who chose not to attend the rally will have meaningful and age-appropriate activities available to them all day at school.
- Permission forms have been sent home - please read and complete the permission form here so we can plan adequate supervision at the park and at school.
- Students travelling with us to the rally will need round trip TTC fair.
- We will be eating lunch at Queen’s Park, so please send your student with a hearty picnic lunch. If you are able, try to pack a lunch that creates zero waste!
What’s the schedule?
In broad strokes:
8:50 - 9:00 - Attendance in homerooms
9:00 - 10:30 - Climate Justice Learning Sessions and Poster-Making
10:30 - 11:00 - Depart for Queen’s Park via TTC; Dissenting students stay at Linden for alternative activities
11:00 - 12:00 - Attend rally
12:00 - 1:00 - March
1:00 - 2:00 - Picnic lunch at Queen’s Park - Please pack a low-waste lunch! - Senior students may depart with Elana for the University Fair
2:00 - 3:45 - Return to Linden. Climate-related activities planned until end of school day
What do I need to prepare?
Your child should dress for the weather on the 27th, as we will be marching rain or shine. Please send a hearty picnic lunch, and if you are able, reduce waste created by the lunch as much as possible. Students over 12 years old should bring round trip TTC fare.
What if I do not give my permission for my child to attend the rally in Queen’s Park?
We strongly encourage families and students to make the decision together about how the student will participate on the 27th! However, regardless of the reason for doing so, students who stay at Linden rather than marching on Queen’s Park will participate in developmentally-appropriate alternative activities with teacher supervision. Please read and return the permission form regardless of your child’s choice to participate as we will be using this information to determine adequate supervision numbers.
Does my child have to attend school on September 27th?
Like any other school day, if your child will be absent we request that you notify the school as per our standard safe-arrivals procedure. If your child attends school on September 27th, they will be able to participate in a range of climate-justice-related activities, including the rally in Queen’s Park. There will be no traditional classes and we will be following a modified schedule.
Can I come too?
We hope that all families are engaging in this day of political action in whatever way is accessible to them! As such, families are more than welcome to join us at the rally in Queen’s Park. Please be advised that parking and travel around Queen’s Park will be complicated that day, and we hope your child can focus on the rally more than on using their cell phone to help you find our group.
Where can I get the permission form?
Please sign and return the permission form to your student’s homeroom teacher by the due date, so we can ensure adequate supervision.
How can I find out more?
The facebook event for the Toronto rally at Queen’s Park is available here.
You can look at hashtags like #FridaysforFuture #StudentsSayNo and #GreenCircle to see what people are posting about the events on Instagram and Twitter.
September 27, 2019 at 9:00am – 3:45pm