New families and students are invited to our Welcome Breakfast on Tuesday, September 5, 2017, 9:00am–10:00am, before school starts the following day. You will be able to meet with some of Linden's staff, board members, and parent volunteers, and your daughter will be able to visit her homeroom and access her assigned locker (please remember to bring a lock for the locker). Quite a few teachers will also be present and look forward to meeting your daughter! Please RSVP for this event so that we can plan the amount of food needed.
New Parent FAQs
1. What are the school's hours?
- School starts at 8:20 AM and ends at 3:40 PM
2. When does the schedule get shared for the year?
- Class timetables will be shared on the first day of school.
- Please also refer to the School Calendar for information about upcoming school events. This calendar is updated regularly and we encourage you to check it frequently during the school year as event times can change.
- The Athletics Schedule provides information about school tournaments and practices. This schedule will be updated once school starts.
3. Will we need to purchase school supplies?
- Yes, please refer to the textbook and supplies list on our website Forms and Documents webpage.
- Some supplies for Grades 3-6 are also included in this list, and additional information about supplies needed for all grades will be provided during the first week of school.
- Grade 7-12 students may choose their own school supplies and if anything specific is needed down the line, their teachers will let them know.
- Please check out our new Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Information for Grade 9-12 (PDF).
- Ian Guenther, our music teacher, has provided information about musical instruments here: Musical Instruments for Grades 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8, 2017-2018 (PDF).
4. What is the dress code? Are uniforms required?
- We do not have uniforms. Please see our Parent & Student Handbook for information on our dress code, which is currently available on our Forms and Documents webpage.
- The new handbook will be available in late August/early September and will be reviewed with students by their homeroom teachers at the start of the school year.
5. How much homework is typically assigned?
- Your daughter's homeroom teacher will provide more information on our homework policy at the start of the year.
- More details and course information will be shared during Curriculum Night, which will be held on Thursday, September 21.
6. Can my daughter visit Linden before school starts?
- New families and students are invited to our Welcome Breakfast before the start of school. See details above and RSVP.
7. How do we learn more about Linden and fall term activities?
- Information about the first day of school is posted online: Back to School Information.
- The list of important dates for the coming year can be reviewed on the School Calendar.
- For a full list of Linden faculty and their teaching assignments for the coming year, please refer to our 2017-2018 Teachers & Courses list available on our Forms and Documents webpage.
- You will also find it helpful to review school traditions together with your daughter, which are posted here: Linden Culture & Traditions.
- One of the most important fall events happens to be Week Without Walls, where students participate in various field trips and outdoor activities. More details and permission forms will be shared at the beginning of the school year.
8. How do I get more questions answered?
- Please feel free to call or email us and get more questions answered anytime.
- We would also love to connect you with our Parent Ambassador, Caron To, who can help answer general questions about Linden. Let us know if we can send her your contact information.
9. Is there a school newsletter which will keep me informed of all school-related activities and events?
- Yes, you will receive a bi-weekly "In the Loop" e-newsletter which is produced by Farida Sheralam, our Director of Marketing & Communications. Please email Farida if you are experiencing any issues with your newsletter subscription, or to add/change your subscription email address. We also encourage grandparents and additional caregivers/guardians to subscribe to our e-newsletter.
Official school communication includes the following:
- Bi-weekly E-newsletter, In The Loop sent via email@example.com
- Occasional ad-hoc announcements sent via firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Financial receipts and reminders sent via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Volunteering news and opportunities sent via email@example.com
- Updates from the Linden Board of Trustees sent via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Updates from your daughter's teachers
We also encourage you to take advantage of our online resources by frequently visiting our website, especially:
- News and Events: http://www.lindenschool.ca/news_events
- Online Calendar: http://www.lindenschool.ca/calendar
- Athletics Schedule: http://www.lindenschool.ca/athletics_schedule
- Important Documents and Permission Forms: http://www.lindenschool.ca/forms_docs
Updates via Social Media
Community members, especially parents and guardians, are encouraged to follow our official social media accounts for news and updates:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Linden-School/282316645218224
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheLindenSchool
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lindenschool.ca/